Post chemo and intentions
This week I have felt tired and achey. Hot flashes or sweats have continued. An occasional headache at times but the temperature has been above 90 every day. I did have some ringing in my ears so I started B12. No symptom has been overwhelming, just not my normal. All in all, I know the symptoms can intensify with each treatment but so far, so good.
The kids and I are in a routine for summer. Mostly it revolves around eating. All three are training for Cross Country (Izzy under slight protest). Cam is swimming for running enhancement. Ewan has added back in Summer Hockey and continues Hurdle/Sprint workouts. Ewan has a job teaching Hockey Skills at the Rec Center. He thought it was for 7 weeks but he might have it for longer. Izzy is inspired by Ewan's job and earning money so she has been asking for jobs and completing them. Cam probably needs a job with his social life but currently I want both boys to focus on driving. Cam will be able to take his test in July with Ewan following in probably August.
I had a visit from my previous co-workers this week. It was fun reminiscing and they actually got to meet the infamous Izzy (paid her for appearance: ) They brought me the most beautiful quilt. The detail and handwritten messages were so thoughtful and inspiring.
Working in cancer care my entire life has always reminded me to live my life with positive intentions. I remember a surgeon in the past few years writing a quote on a white board during COVID, 'a day you are not the patient is a GOOD DAY...' maybe to give us all perspective. I have felt that way my entire career. No matter what I EVER had going on in my life on any given day, it was not MORE than my patient in surgery. Malignant, Benign, High Grade, Low Grade, Extensive, Minimal are just a few words that have SUCH meaning after surgery to the LIFE of the patient on the operating room table.
I translated this perspective into also caring about my co-workers, my team. I understood even though we worked in the same place, they may not have the same perspective. Listening and remembering what they are going through was a way to connect with people. It reminded me you never know what anyone is going through any day of the week.
Being a part of World Class Cancer Care for my entire career, part of the Greater Good and hoping the next generation of Medical Professionals are functional is always enough to center complete care around the patients. Small positive intentions everyday are nourishment for the intensive teamwork occurring in a cancer Operating Room, where no surgery is EVER the same, and a millimeter can make a difference of how much life a person has left.
I was able to experience a Clap Out yesterday. It was for a Surgeon's LAST Surgery. As he walked out into the hallway lined with people clapping, I thought of all of the years I had known him professionally, how much he taught me, how many Surgeons he has trained, mentored and impacted, including my own Surgeon. His dedication and service to his practice and patients opened the path to my own treatment. And even though I am currently the patient, it is was a GOOD DAY!





Comments
Post a Comment