Hit me with your best shot

 



I gave chemo in the late 90's, we gave Decadron and Zofran as premeds.  Anti-nausea drugs have come a long way.  After accessing my slim Power Port with ease (and all the nurse checking it out since it is the latest and greatest, I received the oldie but goodie Decadron, an anti-nausea medicine lasting 7 days and another lasting 3 days.  Then I got 50mg of IV Benadryl which my nurse thought would put me to sleep but she mentioned I could react to the Taxol and my mind wandered back to the late 90's when I experienced a situation with my patient.  I was now questioning the drug plan and on high alert for any of these symptoms. We (my SIL and I) wait for 30 minutes for the pre-medications to kick in, then the Taxol is started and my nurse nonchalantly stares at me for 15 minutes.  SCORE!  I did not react!  They will need to watch again for treatment #2 but for now, I can continue at this rate over 3 hours.  

In the mean time, I am enjoying just being back in a medical building, even if it is at as patient because I have spent a big portion of my life in healthcare.  My people who can not be there have sent people to check on me and chit chatting passes the time.  I am following all my friends advice to drink lots of water.  I started with my staple of oyster crackers that got me through the nausea of the twin pregnancy.  I had ginger and queasie candies, some tea and grape juice.  

My SIL gets me soup and a bagel from Panera.  It tastes delicious.  So far, so good!

Every nurse here cares about the patients and each other.  Their team work is remarkable.  They all know the routine.  It reminds me of my people in the operating room.  The IV pump goes off, I have made it through my first Taxol dose!

Now onto Carboplatin after a 7 minute flush and this only has to infuse over 30 minutes!  I am drinking my water and after my 3rd trip to the chemo bathroom and my SIL filling up my cup again, she jokes I might float away!  I tell her I am protecting my kidneys and bladder : )  Carbo starts and finishes quickly with a 2 minute flush.  My port gets flushed and deaccessed with 2 salines only (the new policy, the nurses and I are all discussing).   

We are in the car by 1:20.  My husband has picked up my home meds of Reglan and Decadron for the next 3 days.  I visit with my family and then hit a wall of fatigue about 4.  I take a nap and wake up feeling rested.  So far, so good.  One down, five to go.  



Comments

Popular Posts