Cut Time - The Upside Down
After packing myself full of protein and packing my mind full of focus and positivity of getting through this surgery, my husband and I head out earlier than I usually do for work. I just should of just driven, my control issues and the ability to drive to The James literally sometimes in sleepy trance, led me to be very critical.
First stop, front of The James and admitting...I am not a patient person...my thoughts went to how many patients I have taken care of who go through this process. I just tell myself to keep on going, I will be putting on my party hat and taking the ride back to the operating room, I just have to play the game.
Next up family waiting, they were expecting me but all the check boxes needed checked. Maybe if I smiled real big and pretended I was not annoyed by the mundane process it would pass quicker. I was about ready to be released to the whirlwind that was about to happen but I knew every step and every person so getting to that part was my comfort zone.
Woohoo! Last location before the operating room! Pee in a cup, get my purple gown on, get my IV, sign my consents, parade of my people...that was probably a little distracting to others but I love my work family. My BFF got my husband out before he passed out, they were "stepping outside' for my ITM (Intrathecal Morphine). Success, goodbyes and Versed...my ride was about to happen.
I remember the operating room. We tell our patients all of the time, you may not remember this or you may just remember going to sleep. I just remember going to sleep. Moving over, all the routine things like safety checks, seeing my people...oh wait! I hear one of my other people! She holds my hand as I drift off....


Comments
Post a Comment