Cancer really sucks...



Cancer really sucks...
I started off as a student nurse in Bone Marrow Transplant in 1993.  So much chemo...so many side effects...so much sadness...I cried most of the summer.  
My mother asked me, 'is this really even healthy?!'  I told her, 'I need to help other people, like I was helped!' 
Then I was in the float pool as a Nurse, I followed one of my patients from Med-Surg, to Chemo, to High Risk Chemo to death...then I was asked if I wanted to work in the Operating Room?!  I really need some natural boundaries because I was not good at setting them for myself.  I was meant for the Operating Room.
27 years later, I am still in the Operating Room.  The routine, the structure, the controlled chaos...it was easier than being a parent.
Three people in this picture have/had cancer...Not all cancers are created equal.  Pancreatic Cancer, Ovarian Cancer and Breast Cancer are represented.  All different stages, all different treatments.  
Not one of them is fair...

 

Comments

Popular Posts