Acute Recovery

 It only felt like a few minutes...It is how it should feel if you have had good anesthetic...2 1/2 liters removed...no bowel involvement...one of my favorite PACU nurses taking care of me...bringing my husband and baby sister back...baby sister almost cries when I try to give her a stern look that we are not crying...those two were a mess and I needed to see the other two...BFF and SIL...a little less intense, exactly what I needed...my bed was ready, which I knew was a feat in itself...taking my last ride in my cart to my room with a view of Downtown Columbus and the hustle and bustle of the front of The James.

My nurse was a traveler...a common theme in healthcare...my SCD machine was not working and I was going to do everything by the rule book so I have no complications.  I still had chemotherapy coming up.  My people would be drifting through, checking on me, putting everyone on notice that I was their person.  It made my family feel secured in leaving so they could be with my kids.

The ITM was a dream for 24 hours...catheter out...pain control...IV capped...time to walk.  Goal one:  pee on my own-DONE!  Goal two:  pass gas....this was going to be a little more difficult.  I was still post op day 1 but my sights were set on going home on post op day 2 and EVERYONE knew it.  The longer I was away from my kids, the harder it was going to be on them.  I knew I could take it easy from home.  My friends bring me breakfast from the 14th floor, my BFF brings me homemade chicken noodle soup, I get Risotto from the 14th floor from dinner. 

Post op day 2 began with a large contingency of my work family visiting, I was sitting up in the chair and yes, they brought me breakfast again.  I work with the BEST people and we are all at The James because we care.  We care about patients like me.  My work family are my biggest cheerleaders, they know I am positive and strong.  I have such a large contingency of friends and family too.  The love feeds my soul.

I finally passed gas!  I make sure everyone knows!!  More visits and my friends make sure the rounding Attending Surgeon is aware I am passing gas!!  He makes me laugh as he has for decades.  I am sprung by lunchtime!  I will be home before the kids are home for school!!

Comments

Popular Posts